We recently added a new Star to the constellation of specialty balsamic vinegars at vomFASS at Mall of America! If you’ve loved our Mango Balsam Vinegar, your palate will leap over the moon when you taste Wild Mango Balsamic Star!
How are Stars made?
As you may recall, vomFASS makes all our fruit balsamics at the world headquarters in Waldburg, Germany. We use fresh fruit, press it into juice, ferment it and incorporate the magical vinegar “Mother” bacteria, before it is aged to perfection. Our “Star” balsamics are basically the same process, with one major difference: they have a higher concentrate of fruit (or honey, in the case of our Honey Balsamic Star). The additional fruit results in a sweeter, thicker, lower-acidity specialty balsamic that is to die for (except for the fact that it’s such a healthy condiment!)
Our new Wild Mango Balsamic Star is composed of mango puree and mango vinegar. It has the full, fruity taste of ripe mangoes of the “carabao” variety, grown on a fair trade plantation in the Philippines (read more). You may enjoy it for refining summer salads, meat or fish dishes or as a base for barbecue sauce. It’s an exotic complement to desserts, oatmeal or cocktails. Personally, I love it in sparkling water and as a marinade for shrimp or pork. It pairs beautifully with any vomFASS extra virgin olive oil, our organic Avocado Oil, Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil and Chili Sunflower Oil. It’s also yummy paired with our Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Blueberry Balsamic Star, such as in this salad recipe.
Mango Blueberry Watermelon Salad ~ Serves 6-8
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 T. shallots, finely minced
- 2 T. vomFASS Blueberry Balsamic Star
- 2 T. vomFASS Wild Mango Balsamic Star
- ½ cup vomFASS Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- vomFASS Salt and Pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 8 cups salad greens
- 3-4 cups red watermelon, rind removed, seeded, and cut into cubes
- 8 oz. feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 2 cups blueberries OR 1 cup black olives
- ½ cup (2 oz.) fresh mint leaves, minced
- Whisk together the shallots, vinegars, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Taste for flavor and seasoning. Add a little olive oil if less tartness is desired. Add a little honey if additional sweetness is desired.
- Place the greens, watermelon, feta, blueberries or olives and mint in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well, but gently.
- Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.